Monday, January 25, 2010

The Bilibed

Carter had semi-high bilirubin by the time we left the hospital. Typical for babies who are breastfed, but it was high enough that we had to get it tested again. So we went to the doctor on Christmas Eve to get him tested. Still high. Back on Saturday. Tested again. His heels were running out of places to be poked. Saturday it was even higher. So they sent us home to meet a man at our house who brought us the bilibed. I cried. Hard. Doctors orders: keep him on the bed at all times unless you're feeding him. That's two days. No holding him. No clothes on and no swaddling them (so he kept doing that freak out thing where they think they're falling) Boo. I cried. A lot. The girls have never seen me cry. So they cried. And there was Mike with his baby on a bilibed and his 3 girls crying. I can only imagine the thoughts that ran through his head at that moment. I'm sure "run" was at the top of his list. But he endured, I quit crying, Carter was a champ on the bed and many prayers and a blessing later, he was fine by Monday. Boo for bilirubin.











6 comments:

Devyre' said...

How sad for all of you. I have never heard of that before. I will have to look it up. Way to be tough!!

No permit required said...

I think about you every day. You are doing great.

Mommy McD said...

The bilibed looks amazing. Braxton had a high count too, but they gave him a biliblanket instead. It was a strip of the blue thing attached to a tube, and we had to keep it wrapped around his center at all times. Only, It had no way to attach it. It was a pain in the arse and caused many problems for the five days he was on it. I cried much too. Glad to see you all endured.

Cyndy said...

Glad he is better!

kristin said...

okay that is the saddest thing especially since you couldn't hold him. I know you told me about this but i didn't realize you were crying the whole time, you butt! It was so sad, but those pictures are DANG cute! He is adorable!

Jacqui said...

he is simply a doll baby.