Saturday, January 9, 2010

Carter....thebeginning.

"My mom named him Carter, but I named him Juice Box." Mya Ross

Friday, December 18th 3ish pm. Contractions start. About every 5 minutes.
7pm. Contractions 2-4 minutes apart. Mike gets on google to find out what we're supposed to do. (I've never had contractions on my own before)
11:30pm: Call Kelli to come stay with the girls while we go to the hospital.
12:30am: Arrive at Riverton hospital. Dialated to a 2 1/2. Contractions 2-4 minutes apart. They make me walk for an hour. In the deserted halls of the hospital. Very boring and annoying. No change. They send me home at 4am.
Contractions all night. No sleep. About 2-3 minutes apart.
Contractions ALL DAY Saturday. 4pm. getting stronger. 2 minutes apart.

Saturday, December 19th 6pm. Drop kids off at Kelli's and head back to hospital. Contractions 2 minutes apart. Harder to breath. And exhausted.
Still dialated to 2 1/2. Dehydrated (since they told me the night before not to eat or drink much since I was in labor). Hook up IV's.
10pm. Offered nurse $100 to "accidentally" break my water.
2 1/2 hours later get shot up with a morphine/phenergren cocktail and get sent home. Again.

Sunday, December 20th. Wake up at 11am from morphine shot. Still having contractions every 2 minutes. All day. Exhausted, frustrated, and on the verge of tears. 10pm take a Lortab and more phenergren to help me sleep.

Monday, December 21st. 8:30 am. Still contracting. Still in labor. Still exhausted. Still frustrated. Call my doctor and tell them I'm coming in. Pack up the girls and head to the hospital.
9:15am meet with doctor. Blood pressure still high. Nurse tells me all the things to say so he won't send me home (thank you nurse).
10am check in to Labor and Delivery. Determined NOT to go home again. Mike leaves to drop the girls off. Start antibiotics for Strep B.
2:45pm doctor breaks water. Wasn't until then that I was relieved knowing they couldn't send me home now.
5:09 pm, out comes baby Ross. Still didn't have a name. Didn't get one until the next day.

Despite the entire weekend of labor, the delivery went smooth. His head was small and my new doctor was quite skilled. We don't need to go into details.

Weighed in at 8lbs, 20 inches at 2 weeks early. We birth them big around here. He did one quick cry and that was it. Lots of goo in his lungs so they took him to be obeserved for a few minutes. Came back and all was well. No complications. We're very blessed.

A few pictures from the hospital.























It's amazing how fast you can fall in love with a person. How fast they steal your heart and completely take over your life and every thought.
Carter Michael Ross. A champ. Good baby. Good eater. Decent sleeper. Fun toy for his sisters.
Diaper changing was challenging in the beginning. It really stressed Jaida out to watch me change his diaper. 100's of diapers later, we're finally getting the hang of it. Now Mya asks me if I "peeled his weiner" (pulling back the skin so it doesn't grow back) when I'm done with the diapers.
We're surviving 3 kids. The girls love him. Sometimes a little too much. Jaida's great at holding him and Mya thinks he likes to be tickled. And she constantly wants to give him "wuvs" (loves) and kisses. She asks to give him "wuvs" and announces she's put on her "hanitizer".
Mike has been awesome taking care of everything around the house and keeping the girls entertained.
Not ideal having a baby the week of Christmas, but after 3 days of contractions, he needed out for both our sakes.
So welcome to the world Carter. I'll do my best to protect you from your sisters until you can protect yourself!!!

7 comments:

Hollie said...

He looks like a Thueson! Congrats Linds. Gotta get over and see him as soon as Kate gets over her back to back colds.

April said...

great to hear the story... have to say that it made me tired and anxious even reading about the delivery weekend. he's such a handsome little boy...

Melissa said...

Lindsay, congrats. Sounds like an adventure. I'm so glad that he's healthy and home with you.

PADA said...

He is absolutely adorable. You make really cute babies. Can't wait to see him in the flesh. Hope you are doing well. (Aunt Marj)

Cheryl said...

So cute. You made me cry! And I am so glad you captured his 'Rebel' shirt for me:) Congrats.

camihubrich said...

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Carter that is, not being in labor for so freakin long. It's a good thing you're so super awesome. Can't wait to meet the little man.

Devyre' said...

I need an epidural after reading this. I don't think they should be able to send you home. So rude!! Love the picture of you and baby Carter. I hope all goes smoothly.