Monday, February 8, 2010

2 A.M

Two A.M. That was the time I told myself I would wake Mike up if Carter still wasn't asleep.
At 9pm, I turned on the TV.
Titanic was on. I laughed to myself when I saw it was on for four hours. Four hours. Long movie.
I saw the entire movie.
We walked. We bounced. We shushed. We sang. We patted backs. He spit up. He cried. He fell asleep. For 30 seconds. Then gagged. Then choked. Then coughed. Then puked. Then cried. We walked. We bounced. We shared a few tears.
Titanic ended. It was 1 am.
Two. If he's still awake at two I have to wake Mike up. I have to. I don't want to. I already feel guilty even thinking about it. Damn "mom" guilt. And I'm a lucky one. Mike's more than willing and wouldn't complain.
Two a.m. came and went. I didn't wake him up. Just one more minute and I'm sure he'll fall asleep.
3 a.m. Sweet mercy. His beautiful little eyes blinked heavier. And slowly closed. I held my breath. He squirmed. Eyes stayed shut. I risked sitting down. And yes, it's a BIG risk. Because somehow he knows, and cares, if I'm sitting.
3:15 Mya starts to cry. I cringed. Mercifully she quickly stopped.
I climb into bed, still holding Carter. Prop up the pillows and plan to sleep sitting up.
5:30a.m. Carter wakes to eat. Didn't we just barely do this?
7:45 Mya's awake. Time to start the day. Did the day before ever end?
It's like we have a new baby at our house or something. :) And we will survive.
Love (sincerely) this new little guy. He's worth every back ache and the long hours of walking and walking. Because truth be told, somehow I miss him when we're both asleep. :)
Breaks over. Carter's crying.

4 comments:

Hollie said...

Hey I watched Titanic until 1 AM too. Although it was by choice, not a crying baby. Hang in there. You're a good mom, and a good wife.

Jacqui said...

Lindsay, I am sorry. Don't feel the mom guilt, even if you post that you're going crazy being up all night. We know you love that hunk 'a boy. He's so sweet! This is rough, though. I wish you could shuttle your girls over. If you're willing to drive, I'll take them. Or him, and let you take a nap.

Crazy that you'll have a year of hell(en's house) and then forget all about it and he'll be 10. But now it's painful. I hear ya, and wish that darn reflux would make like a tree and leave.

Summer also knows as the krazy cake lady said...

Hang in there, you're in the trenches of a battle right now. But someday ( I know that sounds like never,) you will miss infants and babies. Take a nap if possible. Love ya

Steph said...

Oh sheesh...I am not ready for this...again. I'm sorry he has reflux. I won't tell you how long Aidan was a monster baby, some of which came from reflux I think...but it was bad. I hope Carters grows out of it soon. I love your blog. I need to check it more because it always makes me feel normal, and you're hilarious.