Every Monday we do our best to spend the night as a family. We pray together, sing songs (even Mike although he tends to make up a lot of his own words), and teach our kids about God. Then we have some sort of activity and a treat. We do our best to put some thought into what we want to teach our kids.
This past Monday, I hadn't come up with anything. Carter's kept me a tiny bit busy (understatement of the year). So I asked Jaida if she would be in charge of the lesson. Jaida was born to be in charge. She is a leader, loves to be in control, thinks she is actually the mom around here, and has NO problem telling people what to do (including adults). She was thrilled.
We cleaned up dinner and gathered in the front room. Mya was in charge of the opening song. She wanted to sing "your love is my drug" (not sure the official title of that song). Hmmm...how about something about God or Jesus. She then decided to sing an original song. She included the word underwear as many times as she could.
We then moved to Jaida's lesson. She had everything written down. She asked 5 questions. Why is it important to share? Why do we go to school? Why do we need to be kind? Why do we need to shower? (I tried not to laugh when she read that one). And why do we need to share? (A repeat, but we didn't point that out). While she was asking questions, Carter was stepping off the couch, landing on his stomach/face, laughing, and then climbing back up to do it again. The kids is crazy. Mya was bouncing a balloon up in the air running around trying not to let it touch the ground. Mike and I were trying to focus on Jaida and answer her questions. She insisted we raise our hands "I need to see hands please."
We ended with Jaida reading an entire chapter from the Book of Mormon about Lehi's escape from Jerusalem. She read most of it without any help.
We ended with a resounding version of "Search, Ponder, and Pray" (a song about scriptures) and a closing prayer from Mya that included "having fun, eating treats, and no bad dreams".
We then played Mystery Bag. Jaida got this from school. We do a lot of new things around here that Jaida brings home from school. This includes putting an object in a bag, writing 5 clues (it HAS to be 5 clues, Jaida insists) and then everyone else guesses. It ended with Mya in tears because Jaida kept guessing before she could. We had to do a special round just for Mya.
Then it was ice cream from Artic Circle.
A very successful family night if you ask me. Family night with little kids is one thing I will definitely miss as my kids get older. It's nothing short of entertaining every single week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love "Your Love is My Drug"!! I wonder whay Hym (did I spell that right)book she has? Your life makes me tired for you!! You are one of the strongest people I know and an AWESOME mom!!!
I laughed out loud reading this! Especially Mya's antics and wanting to sing Your Love is My Drug. Totally HILARIOUS.
Post a Comment