Jaida. The past little while I've noticed she can become angry. Very angry. Ball up your fists, face turns red, yelling, screaming angry.
Sometimes it's fueled by something. Sometimes it comes unexpectedly. It's odd. And I still haven't figured out the best way to handle it. Right now I'm trying patience, but that won't last forever.
The latest battle (that goes along with all the others we have with her i.e. hair--oh hair how I hate you, bedtime--she's never tired, playing with friends all hours of the day, clothes, shoes, meals, etc., etc.)...but the latest battle--homework.
I use the word homework liberally. Reading a 5 page book with 5 words on each page and writing 1 sentence isn't exactly grueling homework.
But she resists (because that's what she does best). And she cries. And she carries on. And her arm hurts. And her hand hurts. And she just. can't. do it.
Solution--homework has to be done before she can play with friends. It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. Yesterday, it took 45. Yes, 45 minutes. I try not to feed into it. But she's very good at sucking you in. And within the 45 minutes, she lost the privilege to play with friends (because that's the only thing that matters to her).
For 45 minutes she insisted that I do her homework. She wanted me to read the book and me to write the sentence.
"Homework is for YOU to learn Jaida, not me."
"No. You do it. I want it to be in good hand writing. You write it."
"I'm pretty sure your teacher would know that I wrote the sentence."
"No she won't. Just do it. I'll tell her it was me. Just sign it off, mom."
Cheating. And lying. And she's 5. Awesome.
5 comments:
I won't even tell you how Mariko handles homework. Ok I will. She looooves it. Thinks it's so fun. Reads the book and wants to do AT LEAST TWO SENTENCES, MOM. That's ok--I'll pay for it when Kaia's in Kindergarten:)
Funny.
OK, that's funny. I bet you are ready to take on home schooling, right.
Don't know if your looking for a smart moms advice, but I follow askingjane.com it's an LDS mom of 11 in Washington who is open for questions and answers them on a blog. It's awesome! I dont agree with everything she says but she has some good ideas and expirience with parenting :) Gotta love those subborn kids.
Hmmm.....I wonder if she' s a perfectionist, Linds? Some of what you describe sounds like that.......I'm going to consult my theories and get back to you :)
Post a Comment