Saturday, June 19, 2010

Lemonade and Tithing.

The girls talked their dad into a lemonade stand this morning (thanks to the idea being planted in their head by a friend of ours--paybacks, Brian, paybacks). I tried to protest, but was over-ruled by the 3 of them and the "life lessons" they were supposedly learning. So Mike helped them get it all set up. Put out a table. Staked a sign in the lawn. Made the lemonade. And got a jar to collect their coins.
And then Mya kept coming in the house saying "I need more cents so I can buy more lemonade." She was buying lemonade at her own lemonade stand. Not sure what lesson she was learning there....
Mike was confused at my protesting. I just don't dig lemonade stands and begging your neighbors for money. He argued that it was only 5 cents. Still...I protested. And then took pictures.
It lasted for 2 hours. And they made $1.95. Most of which came from our money jar in the house. But they had fun. And I guess that's what counts.
Then we had a little lesson on tithing. Our explanation: the money wasn't ours anyway, but we get to keep most of it. We're only asked to give 10% of it back. And here's the conversation that followed.
Me: Who do we give our tithing to?
Mya: Jesus
Jaida: The bishop
Me: Yep, the bishop. And what does he do with it?
Mya: He sells it to Jesus.

Here's to our first, and hopefully last, lemonade stand. And definitely future lessons on tithing and what the bishop really does with it.




2 comments:

Jaimi said...

I hope your neighbors payed them more than 5 cents for the lemonade. I always try to outpay the person who just bought some in front of me (you know, to win points with the kids so they think I'm the cool mom on the block :) heehee....

camihubrich said...

Hans and I got a kick out of that one.