Monday, March 7, 2011

Diagnosis. And thank you's.

GI doc called Monday morning.  "Well, there's definitely something wrong......"  Um, yea.  I already know that, but thanks for the confirmation.  And thanks for the medical "back-up" that it's not behavioral.  The kid hurts.  And now I have medical proof.
Carter has mild inflammation in his esophagus, stomach, and small intestines.
"I'm pretty sure he has celiac" she said.
I don't think so, but I'm not a doctor.  I am a mom though.  And we have super powers.  Really, we do.
"You're gonna need to take him to get a blood test?"
I'm sorry, what?  You just did a scope.  How on earth could we need more tests.
Off to the hospital.  Again.
Carter started screaming before he ever got poked.  Because people were touching him.  Turns out he doesn't really like to be touched by anyone other than mom or dad.  True story.  Try to hold his hand.  He'll yell at you.
It took 3 of us to hold him down and keep him still.  I told the phlebotomist she better get him on the first poke and make sure she got enough blood because we weren't coming back.  I said it nicely.  :)
GI doc called back Wednesday.  No celiac.  Phew.  That would have been tragic in my book.  What is life without pizza, I mean really.
They tested him for several more allergies (milk, eggs, proteins, etc.)  Nothing.  He's not digesting lactose, but they think it's because of an underlying problem.
The explanation:  He basically has eczema all over, but it's inside instead of outside.  Ow.  Diagnosis:  non-specific allergies.  Cure:  Hope he outgrows it.
Awesome.
Truthfully, I'm okay with that.  Because it could have been something bad.  Something that didn't go away.
For now, we will hope with time, he'll get better.  I feel like he will.
I told Mike we may as well have another baby cause I'm up anyway.  I was kidding.  He didn't think it was funny.

Most importantly, I want to thank all of you.  For the calls, the e-mails, the texts, the facebook posts, the notes, the dinners, the babysitting, the "surprise I texted Mike to babysit because I knew you'd say no" babysitters (love you guys), the family rescuers, the naps, and those of you who have been very diligent about checking how we're doing (including a dear friend whose baby has a tumor--still took time to e-mail--you're amazing).
Thank you isn't adequate.  But it's all I have.  Please know it is sincere and grateful.  You know who you are.  Thank you.

We're doing good.  The future is bright.  Life is hard, but full of so many possiblities.  I'm so grateful for Carter just the way he is.  He has taught me more about life and myself in one short year than I could have learned any other way.
Sleep will come eventually.  But for now, we will be happy with what we have.  :)

4 comments:

Rae said...

I don't even know what to say, I'm just so inspired/impressed by your willingness to take what has been given to you and just make the best of it!

April said...

I've been blog-stalking waiting to hear a diagnosis. Sorry there is no "solution." Little C is a trooper (and could he possibly be any cuter?) and is lucky to have fabulous parents.

kristin said...

dang good thing he is so cute!! I am glad they found "some" answer. Sorry it is one of those hopefully he grows out of it, but hopefully that will be soon!!!

hangrt said...

Anytime you resolve to indication up in a web-based phlebotomy certification program you can expect to find out that you can expect to find the independence to consider all of your programs about the internet at any offered time that functions best for the best way of life in addition to routine.