I went to the doctor today for my second appointment. I had no idea how far along I was. A sure sign this is baby number four and not number one. I thought I was about 14 weeks but was too lazy to figure it out with a calendar. Turns out I'm almost 16 weeks. A pleasant surprise.
I took Carter with me. Big mistake. As soon as I sat down to get my blood pressure, he freaked. He started his spazzy cry and was trying to pull the blood pressure cuff off my arm. Surprisingly my blood pressure was perfect (127/80). I thought for sure it would be high considering all that is going on.
We got into the room. Carter continued to cry. I apologized to the nurse. She gave him a sucker. Still cried. I think he's a bit traumatized by the doctor's office considering all his visits as of late.
The nurse couldn't find a heartbeat. She tried for about 5 minutes. Then said "We'll just have the doctor find it. Sorry to leave you hanging. Are you okay?" Um, well, you can't find my babies heartbeat so not really. "Yea, I'm fine."
I told my sister a few weeks ago that something felt a little "off". But I'm kind of a worrier so I didn't think much about it.
I waited for 10 minutes for the doctor to come in. An eternally long time. My doc tried to find the heartbeat. Carter was still crying. He put the speaker part right up to his ear so he could hear over the hysterics. (Carter is no longer invited to appointments by the way). He tried for 5ish minutes as well. Nothing.
Unbelievable. This isn't happening. My heart starting racing. He could hear my heart beat fine in the monitor. And mine was fast. His face grew a little somber. You could tell he was nervous. So was I.
I had a quick chat with God in my head. I don't want to say I used threats, but...... I made it very clear this wasn't something that was allowed.
Finally the doctor gave up and said let's go do a quick ultrasound. I wonder what goes through a doctor's mind at the point. I've never, ever had a problem finding the heartbeat. Even when I'm very early in my pregnancy. It's never taken more than 30 seconds.
I lay down on the table, Carter next to me. Crying. Still. He's got what we call a little bit of a temper.
I started to wonder if I should tell the doctor to wait so I could call Mike. I needed someone there with me if bad news was about to come. I decided not to. I didn't want to freak him out.
The second the doctor put the wand (whatever you call that thing) on my stomach, I saw the baby kicking it's legs. And out loud I said "You little shit, you scared the hell out of me." The doctor laughed. He was probably relived too. He measured the heart beat, did a quick look and said "Everything's fine. Sorry for the scare."
I have a feeling this baby is a boy. We find out in 3 weeks.
Oh. And Carter was still crying.
Not my best baby appointment. But at least it turned out okay.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Quite a relief, happy all is well :)
I LOVE that you wear your heart on your sleeve! I was laughing AND near-tears reading this. So glad everything turned out okay.
phew. yikes. I bet you were freaking out...
and do you have a "feeling" its a boy, or saw what appeared to be a pee pee???
i think you needed that to happen just so you would fully realize how excited you are for this "little shit!" He/or she is meant for you right now!! for some reason!!!
Glad he/she is fine. I was having a little anxiety reading it so good job you on holding it together.
Post a Comment