Okay. The book. "Protecting the Gift". I've had a few questions on it. No, I'm not just going to tell you what it's about. You just have to read it.
The best part about it--it's not another "how to discipline your child" book. I've read some of those. So far they aren't helpful. At all. You give 'em two choices, they come up with a third and on and on.
This book is about keeping them safe. What YOU need to know and what THEY need to know to stay safe.
I knew I liked the book when he had a chapter on how you should NOT teach your kids "Don't talk to strangers." Being a mother of two girls who are more than happy to talk to strangers, take candy from strangers, pet strangers dogs, etc., etc., I appreciated this chapter a lot.
So read it. Put aside your big stack of books, or pick up a book every once in a while and read it.
And while you're at it, read De Becker's other book, "The Gift of Fear". Also a GREAT read.
Just trying to keep you all safe. Cause I'm cool like that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hey, thanks for so much explicit info on the book! Haha. I guess I'll just have to put down my history of the Hmong people and read it.
You've got to go get Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters. It's one of those "this is what is going on out there in the crazy world, and this is what your daughters will be up against, and this is what you (DAD) need to do to ensure their safety and self confidence." It's excellent.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm always up for a good read at midnight-1 a.m., the only time I have to read lately.
So I am commenting again because I just read the synopsis of the book. I figured it was probably on this subject. I think it is soooo important. In college I had six roommates, and all but two of us had had some kind of rather traumatic sexual assault or abuse. It is so widespread, even more so than we know about. Most people don't want to talk about it. I also had (an LDS) friend who tried some moves on me when we were about 10. I had no idea what she was doing, but looking back I realize she must've been abused. There's no other explanation. It's crazy out there, it really is.
Have you ever heard of Brite Music? They have a CD called the Safety Kids. It's GREAT to play in the car, and goes through a lot of scenarios your kids are faced with through songs. There's even a song to learn your phone number, and to look for a grandma or mother with children when you are lost. It's awesome. Just an FYI.
Okay, I just got caught up on your blog. I have been really lazy about blogging lately. Anyway, I am just laughing at how much Jaida and Mya remind me of our girls. So cute. hope you guys are doing well.
Why can't you just hold a little get together and explain all of that stuff to my kids! You would be much calmer that I am. Great! Just let me now when.
I am so excited to get this book and read it...I have read The Gift of Fear and loved it. Matter of fact, Jon may have Protecting the Gift already...I will have to go through the books we have in storage. Thanks for bringing this up!! Talk to you soon
Post a Comment