Tuesday, February 5, 2008

On "goals". . .

I'm not sure my brothers appreciate me using their stuff on my blogs, but if you've read anything my brothers write, you'd know why. . .they have all inherited my mothers AMAZING ability to write and they're hilarious. . .yes, hilarious.
Anyway, every year my family has a little tradition at Christmas where we write memories about each other. We draw names and then write something about that person. My mom receives a LOT of resistance every year, but it is one thing she's put her foot down about (thanks Mom) and we're all grateful afterwards because it's a really fun night when we all read them together. It's usually pretty irreverant and unappropriate (that's how my family rolls) but also a lot more emotion shared than usual for a family (which is about no emotion at all). This year we obviously couldn't do it because mom and dad are gone. So mom gave us the assignment to write about a defining experience of 2007 and some goals for 2008. This is part of what my brother Shane wrote on goals and I laughed out loud. And I think it fits him perfectly!! He's funny. . .and he's single. . .so let me know if anyone's interested!!!

"Well...the one goal I've managed to actually write on paper thus far is "Write down goals for 2008". So, I've at least got one....I've been trying (if we dare call it that) to formulate my priorities for this year, at least mentally, and I've come up with some basic ideas. I like to think of January as the "warm-up" month for the year...the time to make sure you're nice and stretched out, loosened up, and prepared for the year ahead. If you just dive into all these goals and projects and lifestyle changes willy-nilly and buck-wild, you're liable to pull an achievement muscle or tear your motivation hamstring right in two...and then you're sidelined for the season, rehabbing most the year, just to get back to where you were in the first place. So I'm giving myself a few weeks to get situated."

1 comment:

Jacqui said...

That is so funny. I have a sister who's 20...how old's your brother? (I have another on a mish. She's 22.)