Friday, February 22, 2008

Pearl Harbor

If you go to Oahu, Pearl Harbor is worth a visit. There really isn't that much to see, but there's a decent movie before hand and it is definitely a place that deserves respect and attention. Unfortunately they don't give you very much time at the actual memorial that is resting over the sunken ship Arizona. I've been there twice before and somehow never learned the significance of the memorial building itself. It has seven holes on each side and seven holes in the ceiling (so 21 holes total) which signifies a silent 21 gun salute. Kinda cool. Well, at least that's what my sister told me so I don't even know if it's true. But I like to start rumors so either way I'm going with it.

Anyway. Here's some pictures.
Waiting for our turn to take the boat out to the memorial. Palm trees create nice back support.
Mya testing her strength. She almost pushed it over. That's my girl!
The memorial is off in the distance just to the left of the palm tree trunk.
USS Arizona. This is one of the few parts of the ship you can see out of water.
Names of men (or I should say boys) who died at Pearl Harbor.
No idea what that ship is, but it was perfectly positioned for a picture. . .so of course I took it.

4 comments:

Mommy McD said...

I can't be certain, since all I can see is the mast and bow, but I'm pretty sure that is the USS Missouri. The oldest active ship in the fleet. (They take it out once a year to keep its "active" status)

Brit H. said...

I think the ship in the last pic is the U.S.S. Missouri. Ya, I LIVED on Oahu and never saw the Arizona. How lame is that? I did however tour the Missouri, not quite the same. haha.

Brittany said...

It was a great experience to spend a bit of time there and learn more about it. That is pretty cool thing to learn about the 21 gun salute. Thanks for sharing a little bit of the sun for just a minute.

Allman Roca said...

Judd saw the pics of Mya and said, "Ohhh, cute!" And I guess that pretty much sums it up!!