Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Like mother like daughter

Mya managed to catch herself a nasty cold. Boogers, boogers, boogers. Usually she's pretty good about getting her nose wiped. But after about 5 days of constant wiping of nose and eyes, she started complaining that her nose hurt. For about 2 days she'd cry everytime we wiped and say it hurt. Then she'd start digging trying to get "it" out. We assumed it was one of those hard, crusty boogers that just get stuck sometime.
We worked on teaching her how to blow her nose, but she didn't catch the vision. Finally after a few days, I decided I was going in to get it out. However I had to do it, I couldn't handle the screaming everytime I wiped her nose. So I lifted up her chin to take a peek in the nose and the following conversation took place.

Me: "WHAT is in your nose?" I take a closer look thinking I'd seen something blue. "Mya. What's in your nose?" Definitely something blue in there.
Mya: Blank stare
Me: (with more emphasis) "MYA, what did you put in your nose?"
Mya: "A treasure."
Me: "A what?"
Mya: "A treasure." with a little smile.

At this point I started to laugh. And I flashed back to a day in my life when I was about 10. My little brother and I were sticking beads up one nostril, plugging the other nostril, and then we'd blow as hard as we could shooting the beads across the room. It was a great game until we both stuck the beads up too far and couldn't get them back out. My mom had to drag us both to the ER where my dad was working at the time to get the beads fished out of our noses.

So. . .I couldn't really be mad. It was in her genes to stick something up there eventually.
I called Mike at work. Then I called my dad for tips on removing foreign objects from a 2 year olds nose.
Mike came home to pin her down, and I took the tweezers and went in. 10 seconds later we pulled out a blue polypocket cell phone. Pretty big sucker to have stuck in ones nose for at least two days.




She thought the whole thing was pretty hilarious. Except when we pulled it out. I'm sure it hurt. But she didn't cry nearly as hard as I was bracing for.
Love my mischevious two year old.

4 comments:

Mommy McD said...

I did the whole beads up the nose thing when I was four. My excuse was "the other one came out". My mom had to call the fire department...

Jacqui said...

Tell us again how much you love those Polly Pockets...? haha. That story is hilarious. Brave of both of you, too!

Devyre' said...

Jais did that twice. Once with a French fry once with a bead. The French fry had to be removed by her doctor. It was so long and just kept falling apart the entire time. The bead she sneezed out right before I took her to the doctor. I wanted to put the vacuum hose by her nose to see if that would work. What do you think?

kristin said...

That is so funny! You got to love polly pocket stuff!!