Monday, March 10, 2008

Baptisms and Bath Time

My niece got baptized last week. Anytime we go to a baptism, Jaida is obsessed with the whole thing for a few days. We've tried to teach her what getting baptized means, and more importantly right now, WHO does baptisms. A few days after this baptism, Jaida continually asked me if she could baptize me. She asked over, and over, and over and anytime I was on the ground, she'd try to do it. She finally wore me down and I agreed to let her have a go. Sacreligious, perhaps, but I imagine God understands. . .he's got lots of relentless children as well. I won't go into details lest I give my very proper mother a heart attack, but let's just say she had the right arm raised, she insisted I plug my nose, and she even got some of the words to the prayer right. I'm still laughing even as I type this. So now my sins have been washed away again. It feels great to start over. I'm pushing it. I'll stop.
Anyway, the next night I was giving Jaida a bath. Normally I wash her hair out with a cup of water, but I couldn't find one so I had her lay down. I rinsed out the soap and when she sat up she said:
"MOM. . .You just baptized me!!! Only boys are supposed to do that. One day, when I'm 8, I get to get baptized and daddy's going to do it. Then someone will teach me about the ghost (in reference to the talks given on the Holy Ghost at the baptism)".
Oh, and just another little story to let you all laugh at. While getting ready for church yesterday, Jaida looked at me and said:
"Mom, I really need a boyfriend."
"You're too young for a boyfriend."
"No, mom, I really need a boyfriend."
So I told her the boy in her primary class thinks she's his girlfriend.
"Oh, yea, I'm his girlfriend. . . .but I can't kiss him until I'm 21." We've at least sort of taught her well. I'm doomed.

2 comments:

Shana and Brandon said...

Isn't 21 still to young!!:)They better not be kissing before that. Berkley told me that Jaida taught him how to dance in class. He was shaking those hips! What are they doing in primary???

Steph said...

I knew I came to your blog for a reason. I was feeling down - but you made me smile and laugh with all your cute stories!