Yesterday. What a day. Indulge yourself.
**Woke up a little late. Never a good start to a day. Carter had woke up about every 30-40 minutes all night so I was tired. Tired isn't even adequate but there's no word to describe my physical state right now.
**Fought Jaida to get ready for school. A daily occurrence. She doesn't think it's fair that she has to go everyday and Mya only has to go 3 days. She then started the "I have a stomach ache" bit. Doesn't work anymore. She now has to produce throw up for that one to get by. So I sent her to school in tears. Hopefully she wiped them away before getting in the carpool car (thanks for your continual patience Kamie).
**Put Carter down for a nap. He woke up 5 minutes later. At least I got a 5 minutes break, right? Blah.
**Getting Mya ready for gymnastics. She changed her mind 3 times on what she wanted to wear. While putting on the 3rd outfit, Carter fell and smacked his face on the hardwood floor. He falls alot so I didn't pay much attention. Then I looked at him and there was blood squirting out of his mouth. Hmmm..That's a problem. Bit his lip, cut his gums, and has a pretty impressive fat lip.
Mya was thus late to gym. She didn't seem to mind. Thank you Mya.
**Got a phone call from the school on my way home from dropping Mya off from gym. "Mrs. Ross, I've got Jaida here in the office saying her tummy hurts real bad."
"Let me talk to her please."
"Mom. (Sniff, sniff) My tummy hurts."
"Okay. I'll come get you. But you have to lay on the couch and do nothing and you can't go to the birthday party for your friend this afternoon. Or you can tough it out and stay at school."
" (Sniff, sob) Okay, I'll stay."
**Picked Mya up from gymnastics. Went home. Made lunch. Struggled to find anything I could feed Carter that doesn't have wheat in it. The wheat thing is getting real old, real fast. And it's obviously not working. Tried to vacuum up all the things off the floor that have wheat in them so Carter wouldn't munch on anything he wasn't supposed to have.
**Put Carter down for a nap. Woke up 45 minutes later (he usually goes at least 1 1/2 hours). Got him back to sleep just as Mya barged in the room to see what we were doing. Nap over.
**Carter felt hot. Checked his temp. 101. Motrin.
**Mike came home from work early so I could go to another doctor for a second opinion on my on going shoulder problem. Carter wasn't happy.
**Sitting in the doctor's office. Phone rang. Ignored. Phone rang again. Ignored. Message. Checked message.
"Um, Lindsay. This is Shannon. Melanie has Jaida. She was crying and said she was scared so she's bringing her home from school."
Wait, what?
Called Mike. "Did you get Jaida from school??"
"Um, No, I forgot. But she's home now"
Turns out Carter had been crying since I left and Mike got a little distracted. Trust me, I totally get it.
Jaida was moderately traumatized. Thankfully we carpool with a very level headed 7 year old who put her arm around Jaida, insured her everything would be okay, found a neighbor and solved the problem. Thank you M.
Jaida is always anxious about me leaving her places or forgetting her or this or that. And I'm constantly reassuring her I would never leave her somewhere. I might be late, but I'll never leave her. This kinda added fuel to her fire. And Mike felt horrible (totally not like him to forget, but sometimes a crying baby can do that to a person).
She survived. And it was a good opportunity to teach her (again) what to do if I don't show up. We've talked about it before, but she panicked in the moment and just started to cry. She's 6. I'll give her a little slack.
**Visited with the doctor about the shoulder problem. He totally disagreed with the diagnosis of the other doctor. Great. Now what. He also used words like "cyst" and "tumor". Not words you like to hear in any doctor visit. Nothing to get worked up about, but I'm scheduled for an MRI tomorrow to get a better look at everything. (It's nothing serious. Just something to take a closer look at).
**Got home. Carter had cried himself to sleep. Took him from Mike. On fire. Check temp. 103. Awesome. More Motrin.
**Fed kids dinner. Sent Mike off to YM. Tried to console a now very unhappy baby. No other symptoms. Just high fever. So we walked around and around the "track" in our house.
**Kids in pajamas. Everyone on couch watching TV to calm down before bed. Still walking around and bouncing Carter.
**Mike gets home. Hobbles into the house. "Um, what are you doing". Collapses on the couch in agony. Is he joking? What's wrong? Basketball at the church. Came down on his ankle. Nothing new. He's sprained his ankle about a bazillion times. But this was different. The amount of pain was different. The instant swelling of an ankle 4 times the size it should be. He was hurting. Bad.
**Left him on the couch with 2 Lortabs and 4 Ibuprofen.
**Finally got Carter to sleep. Girls fell asleep on the couch by Mike. Then I had the task of trying to carry them to their room. Normally wouldn't be a problem, but I'm still not dried up from nursing. Side note. It is a WAY WAY WAY bad idea to stop nursing cold turkey. The pain is ridiculous. And trying to carry 50 pound kids up a flight of stairs without touching your chest is not easy. Try it.
**Back to assess the cripple. Let's wait and see what it looks like in the morning.
**Carter awake after 30 minutes. Walk walk walk bounce bounce bounce.
**Help Mike up to bed. And by help I mean I watched him hop to the stairs, crawl up the stairs, and hop into bed.
**Carter awake. All. Night. Long.
**Today. Wake up girls. Start the agonizing process of getting ready for school. Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but I HATE school mornings. Get Mya to school (late), then Jaida.
**Back to check on Mike. Ankles huge. Can't walk. Off to Instacare. Crazy, crazy doctor checks him. And was a little too aggressive loving on Carter. Wasn't aware he was dealing with a sleep deprived very anxious mom. Back off and just check his damn ankle buddy.
**X-rays back. It's broken. As the two nurses were splinting him and struggling a little with the process one of them says "We don't put these splints on adults very often because it's really hard to brake your ankle." Fabulous. Glad we can defy the odds.
**One week in a splint, crutches, and no weight on the foot. Then in to see and Orthopedic Doctor to get it casted. I told him if he didn't want to run the marathon with me he could have just said so. :)
**And now Carter has woken up from his nap twice and is a bundle of joy. Something is seriously wrong with this kid.
Pretty sure we officially win "Best day of 2011" so far!! Here's to a great year ahead. Insert Crazy lady laugh cause right now I am definitely crazy lady. Who needs sleep. And then a Diet Coke/Prozac cocktail IV. Do they have those?? Hook me up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh Linds... I don't know whether to laugh or cry reading this post! I think you have absolutely won "Best day of 2011". It'll be hard for anyone to compete with a day like that! :(
I hope it gets better. XO
Lindsay,
RE looking for things without wheat: Have you learned about quinoa yet? It's fabulous: you can use it like cooked rice. It's practically flavorless. But it's actually a really healthy food. You can add cut up fruit, vegetables, etc. I'm sure there are plenty of recipes out there. Costco also sells gluten (and wheat) free crackers called Crunchmaster Multiseed Crackers. You can also buy them on-line. So sorry to hear about your crazy day.
emily chipman
At least you're laughing? (Even if it is maniacal...)
All I could do yesterday was cry.
Hopefully Mike heals quickly. I am praying Carters problems are solved soon, and easily.
Oh, and if you find that coke/Prozac cocktail - do you think you could send me some?
You're still able to find humor even on days that suck, that's awesome.
Post a Comment