Although I think staying up on New Years Eve is kinda dumb and the whole "holiday" part of a new year is weird, I'm definitely a fan of starting again. Reassessing, looking back, shifting priorities, making adjustments. I'm definitely a fan of all that.
So I say a big loud goodbye to 2010. It was the hardest year of my life. By far. But now (since it's over) I can say I'm grateful. Because it changed me. I'm different than I was in 2009. I see things differently. I feel things differently.
And 2011 brings hope. And possibilities. And it's an odd year so it's gotta be good.
We're starting off the new year with the number one priority to help Carter's tummy feel better. He's gassy. Which I realize is kind of natural for guys, but his is kind of extreme. And it wakes him up at night. All. night. long.
The pediatrician said the first step was to test for allergies. So we took him to an allergist. Who poked his little back with 16 different things to see if anything bothered him. And he had a reaction. To.........drum roll please.........wheat. Are. You. Kidding. Me. Wheat. Take a look through your pantry and cupboards and find me something, anything, that doesn't have wheat in it. Wheat is in everything. Everything.
His reaction was borderline between a true allergy and an intolerance. Either way, his body didn't like it.
The cure. Take him off wheat for a week and see if it makes a difference. And since I'm still nursing, I had to go off wheat too. Hmmmm... (Side note--he is not allergic to gluten. This is NOT Celiac disease)
So for 3 days Carter and I ate a strict diet of no wheat. And I introduced him to Lactaid (since he seems to be lactose intolerant as well) which, thank the heavens above, he likes.
So yesterday I decided we were done nursing. I've been ready to be done for about 8 months now, but Carter wasn't. Yesterday we pulled the plug. Or the nipple I guess you could say. Cold turkey. Today I will tell you that is not recommended. I probably should have tapered, but this girl needs wheat. :) And now a Lortab.
Little C actually hasn't protested no nursing. He's taken to the bottle and Lactaid (it doesn't taste bad) quite well.
But, after 4 days of no wheat for Carter, he's still not sleeping well.
Slightly discouraging.
The doctor said to give it a week. So I will. But I'm doubtful that's the problem. Which is good because a life with no wheat sounds awful to me. But bad because then we have no idea what the problem is.
So hopefully 2011 will bring a cure. Or a solution. Or something. So I can sleep more than 2 hours at a time. 1 year later and I still have a newborn sleeping situation. Sweet mercy.
We're also hoping 2011 brings a few other things. A boat maybe. :) And a trip to Lake Powell (check). And some other fun adventures.
So goodbye 2010. Thanks for kicking my butt. And teaching me a lot about life.
And hello 2011. We welcome you with open arms. And vow to make it the best year we possibly can!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment